Have you tripped over a cluttered display in the grocery store? Did you fall on an icy sidewalk while walking into a restaurant? Slip and fall accidents occur every day and account for over eight million emergency room visits each year in the United States. These accident can happen anywhere – grocery stores, malls, hotels, and office buildings.
Slip and fall accidents can cause serious injury and lead to growing medical bills. Monish Patel has been fighting to protect Hoosiers who have been injured in a fall accident. Do not hesitate to contact our office if you have been injured as a result of another person’s negligence.
Falls are very common and most people have experienced the embarrassment and shame of falling in a public place. Most people try to laugh it off and pretend that they are fine. Being involved in a slip and fall accident is nothing to be ashamed of, especially when your accident is a result of another person’s negligence.
Being involved in a slip and fall accident can result in serious injuries. Many victims often feel angry and frustrated with the growing medical bills and missed time from work.
In order to have a case for a slip and fall accident, you must prove that the property owner or manager was negligent. Negligence occurs when someone failed to remove or mark a hazardous condition that caused you to slip and fall. This differs from a mistake because the person responsible knew or should have known that the hazard was present and was likely to cause harm or injury.
You might have a slip and fall case if the following are true:
- The property owner or manager should have recognized the hazardous condition and taken measures to remove or repair it.
- The property owner or manager knew about the dangerous condition and recognized that someone could be injured.
- The property owner or manager was negligent and you have proof that the they knew about the hazard or danger.
- You were not responsible for the accident and sustained an injury or injuries.
Slip and fall accidents can happen any where and any time. Injuries can range from minor scrapes and bruises to major head injuries. The most common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
Wet or slippery floors
Inadequate or poor lighting
Lack of or defective handrails on stairs
Uneven flooring surfaces
Cords running across walkways
Transition of flooring surfaces (ie. wood to carpet)
Ice and snow on sidewalks
In order to pursue a slip and fall injury case, you must prove a number of factors against the property owner. There are four elements to prove in slip and fall accidents including:
The property owner has a duty to the victim. The person responsible for maintaining the property must ensure that there are no dangerous conditions that could potentially cause harm. If issues are known, there must be appropriate warning signs if they cannot be fixed right away. If the property owner or manager knew there was an issue, but failed to take action, they can be held responsible for your injury or injuries.
The property owner must have known about the condition(s) that could cause harm. This is an important aspect of any slip and fall injury claim. Negligence occurs when the property owner or manager knew that the danger existed, but did nothing about it and the victim suffered an injury or injuries as a result.
The defect or issue that caused the injury must have been considered dangerous. The injured party must prove that the property owner knew or had reasonable suspicion that someone could have been harmed because of the defect or issue. The hazard should have been promptly taken care of to ensure that others on the property would not be harmed or injured. Another key aspect is that the property was being utilized for its intended purposes.
The injuries sustained must have been due to the dangerous condition and not by any other problem. The injury must have been directly caused by the slip and fall as a result of the defect or issue on the property. There must be sufficient proof that the injuries or conditions were a direct result of the defect or issue. Always seek immediate medical care after any slip and fall accident so that there is documented proof of your injuries.
When you are injured in a slip and fall accident in Indianapolis, it is important to hire an experienced attorney to help you with your case. The top three advantages of hiring a slip and fall attorney include:
- Building a strong case. An experienced attorney will have knowledge and understanding of all Indiana laws and use them to build a strong case for you. Evidence preservation is important in these cases and your attorney will properly present it to help your case have a solid foundation.
- Maximum compensation. Simply filing an insurance claim on your own won’t get you all the compensation that you may deserve. Insurance companies will undervalue your injuries and pay you as little as possible. An experienced attorney can help you figure out all of your options and negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf.
- Focus of recovering. A slip and fall accident can be emotionally draining, expensive, and cause devastating injuries. An experienced attorney will take away the stress of trying to figure out all of the complex issues associated with your slip and fall case.
There are many benefits to hiring an experienced Indiana attorney when you have been injured in a slip and fall accident. At Patel Defense, we will not collect any fees unless we win your case. We offer complimentary case evaluations via telephone, home, or hospitals. If you have suffered an injury due to a slip and fall accident, don’t wait to contact us! It is extremely important to contact an attorney before discussing your injury and case with the negligent party or their insurance company. Contact us for a complimentary case evaluation today!